Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Country Kitchen

For Christmas (2010), Karla and I decided to have a theme for our girl's gifts rather than a collection of random toys. We decided to build a play kitchen and then have the rest of the gifts compliment it (aprons, play food, play dishes, etc). I was going to build a kitchen from scratch, but then I ran into this kitchen at a local thrift store for only $7. I decided to remodel this one rather than build a kitchen from scratch. The first thing I did was remove the counter top. I knew that I wanted to put in a sink by hanging a metal mixing bowl; however, with only a single drawer across the front, a sink wouldn't work. I took apart the drawer and created one smaller drawer for the right hand side and framed out the left side to make room for the sink basin. Because the drawer face extended farther out than the rest of the bottom cupboards, I framed out extensions for the middle cupboard area into two separate spaces, one for the oven and one for a closed cupboard.



The counter top instantly became eye catching with a quick coat of glossy black paint and the sink fixtures. The sink is simply a medium size mixing bowl, hanging freely on its rim in a hole I cut out in the counter top. The faucet and handles are various painted PVC pipe fittings, glued together to make a faucet-like shape.





The oven and cupboard were made by hinging on doors and adding handles. I did cut out a window in the oven door and mounted a piece of plastic on the backside. The handle came from a broken towel holder, fixed between two wooden brackets on the side. The inside of the oven has a single suspended rack made from an old cookie rack. I hung a chain on the right hand side of the oven so that the door would not crash down flat every time it was opened. I also installed a small magnetic latch on the top side to stop accidental openings from getting bumped by crazy children.


After stocking the kitchen with pots and pans, dishes, utensils and play food, it is a fun play toy and fixture in our home now.











No comments:

Post a Comment