Saturday, July 19, 2014

Compass Rose

I made a goal during the summer to make something for my office at work that represented something meaningful to me as a symbol, but also represented a project that I was proud to display and admire as something that challenged me. I decided on a compass rose.
 
My career path was directly affected by a personal encounter with the late Stephen R. Covey in November 2004. He told a group of us young missionaries to personally ponder four questions when deciding on a future career: What do you like to do? What are you good at? What does the world need? What does your conscious tell you? I didn't realize it at the time, but those questions were at the heart of his book "The 8th Habit" which he was either writing at the time or had just completed. I took this message to heart and have based all of my career/educational decisions on my feelings after spending hours pondering these questions. I felt a compass rose would be a perfect symbol for my office, both as a symbol of this direction for me, but also as a reminder to help my employees find their voice within the company as well.
This project required some precise angles, especially since the diagonal points are more narrow than the others.

I hand routered a beveled edge on each of the pieces. The circle was actually cut from the back of an broken hallow clock. I put the clock on the table saw next to a rip fence and rotated the clock through the blade to cut off an 1/8" perfect circle off the back.

I stained the piece and cut out a notch in the back to rest on a nail for hanging.


I look at this compass everyday in my office. It is a powerful symbol to me of direction, focus and personal achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment