Sunday, July 3, 2011

Piano Music Box


In 2002, I decided to make a music box shaped like a piano for my mother.  This was the result.  
 I wood burned her name "Lisa" into the top of the piano and burned each individual key onto the keyboard.  I purchased the legs from a craftstore.
 I found a little music box button meant for inserting in stuffed animals or other crafts.  It plays "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music. By no means is it a fancy music box that plays when you open the lid, but it still works. 
 When I built this project, I didn't know how to use a router and still used a scroll saw for everything.  I made the basic shape by stacking four layers of wood together and cutting the shape.  On two of the cut pieces, I cut out the middle and then glued them together.  If I was doing this again, I would probably try routering out a block of wood.
I remember being really proud of this project and was anxious to give it to my mom.
This was actually the first "piano" I have made.  I designed this basic piano representation as a gift to our choir director.  I later built one for my mom, just prior to making the piano above.  I also helped some friends make pianos for their senior prom dates and they wood burned various pictures/messages on the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment